Prints and digital files are accepted.
Digital images will be accepted for ALL entries.
Please read thoroughly!
Click to view the Online Entry Form. The form is in PDF format. Please fill out the form online and click on Submit Form, and also print it out and bring it with your prints to competition. If you are submitting digital entries you can just email the form and do not need to bring a printed copy with you.
The purpose of this competition is to allow photographers to enter photographic prints, photographic albums, digital albums and prints to be judged relative to the 12 Elements of a Merit Print. For more information on Merit Print Elements see http://seattleppa.com/12elements-of-a-merit-image/.
These rules pertain to images entered as prints created by traditional photographic processes as well as those captured and or manipulated electronically with a digital camera or scanner.
1. Entrant must have captured and created the original exposure.
2. Any photographic print, album or digital print or album entry which has been reproduced from an existing photograph, portrait, graphic or any other artwork produced by another person is a violation of the competition rules and will not be judged, accepted, or displayed. If an entry, in the good-faith opinion of the Photographic Exhibition Committee, violates copyright, trademark or any other applicable law, that entry shall be disqualified.
3. The entrant’s name must not be visible on the entry.
4. A maximum of four entries may be submitted per entrant.
5. No entry will be eligible that has been made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment.
6. No two entries shall be of the same subject.
7. Entry media includes prints, digital submissions, physical albums and digital albums.
8. If an image Merits in any category of SPPA Annual competition it may not be entered again in any other category at any time by any entrant in the same or subsequent years of SPPA annual competition. It may however, be entered into State, Regional or National PPA or non PPA competitions, and in SPPA monthly competitions.
PHOTOGRAPHIC COMPETITION CATEGORIES:
1. PHOTOGRAPHIC CATEGORIES
High School Senior – Indoor/Outdoor
Photojournalism- images captured at the peak of action and telling a story
Posed (non photojournalistic) image captured for a wedding
Photojournalistic (non-posed) storytelling image
Commercial – Industrial, table-top, advertising, stock and aerial
Architecture – Interior and/or Exterior
Animal: In studio or outdoor
Nature/Landscape – flora/fauna or land/sea/city/nightscapes.
Illustrative: Images representing an alternative type of creativity but not meet the requirements of other categories
Album, Wedding – Only one album is allowed per entrant.
Album, Non Wedding – Any subject matter other than a wedding. Only one album is allowed per entrant.
2. PHOTOGRAPHIC SUBMISSION REQUIREMENT
Albums – Physical:
1. Album covers must be between 63- 400 square inches, no multiple volumes permitted.
2. Any studio identification or entrant’s name must be covered.
1. Digital Album Entries must be submitted on Non-writable CDs or an Internet service for sending large files (e.g. yousendit.com).
2. All page/spread files must have the longest file dimension at 4,000 pixels (20 inches at 200 ppi), have an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10.
3. Each page/spread file may contain as many images as you desire.
4. An entry may contain up to 36 page/spread files.
5. Files are to be numbered in viewing order using two digits (i.e., 01 jpg, 02 jpg, 03 jpg, etc.).
6. Page/spread 01.jpg MUST be blank – filled with BLACK.
7. All individual files must be compressed into a single ZIP file. ZIP file must be named: EntrantsName_Album_Title (use _for spaces, e.g. 123456_Summer_Wedding.zip).
8. Studio identification or entrant’s name cannot appear on any file within the album entry (zip file).
9. Limit one album entry per CD.
10. Entrant’s Name/plus Title of Album Must be written directly on the CD with a CD marker or Sharpie Pen . No labels can be affixed to the CD.
Multi-Maker Album entries:
1. Each entrant must pay the appropriate entry fee for each multi-maker to be eligible for awards and merits.
2. Images in the album must be the work of the entrants, with a minimum of 20 images per entrant.
3. Each maker’s name must be included on the official entry form.
4. ZIP file must be named: PPAmember#1_PPAmember#2_ Album_Title (use _ for spaces, e.g. 123456_654321_ Summer_Wedding.zip)
1. Entrants may submit printed images of any shape and size on a mount board a minimum of 80 square inches to a maximum of 480 square inches, with the largest dimension no longer than 24 inches. (Recommended mounting thickness is 1/8_ to 3/8_.)
2. Print entries must be mounted on standard mount material (double weight mat board, gator board, ¼_ foam, or Sintra). ―Float mounting is accepted at the entrant’s risk for damage. Images on metal and mounted to another standard material must have rounded corners and smooth edges. No mount that could potentially damage other entries or pose a danger to print handlers will be accepted. Masonite, glass, stretcher frames or conventional frames will not be accepted.
3. A digital reference file must be submitted with each print entry. This file must match the submitted print entry (image and presentation). File specifications are the same as under the Digital Submission categories.
4. No material may be added to the front or back of any entry that may damage another entry.
5. Exception PPA Master Degree holders (see PPA International Competition Rules).
Digital Print Submissions:
1. Files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4,000 pixels (20 inches at 200 ppi). Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. Total file size should not exceed 3.5 MB.
2. Files are to be named: EntrantName_Image_Title (use _ for spaces, e.g. 123456_See_Spot_Run.jpg).
DEADLINES AND FEES FOR SUBMISSION
Case Fees for SPPA and PPW Members is $60 ($15 per Entry) and $100 ($25 per Entry) for non members.
Only Photographic Print Entries (Entries that DO NOT include a Digital Album or Digital Image) may be hand delivered and fees paid on the day of the competition to be held at:
LOCATION: The Polish Home, 1714 18th Ave, Seattle WA, 98122
DATE / TIME: November 5th 2013, 4:00 pm
Print Check starts at 3:00 pm. Print Competition starts promptly at 4:00 pm.
From I-5 North – take exit 165B James St. and on 1st lights take left on Cherry St. On next traffic lights take another left turn to Madison St. Go up the Hill on Madison to 18th Ave. and take a left into 18th Ave. Polish Home is on the right hand side.
From I-5 South – take exit “Madison St.” Go up the Hill on Madison to 18th Ave. and take a left into 18th Ave. Polish Home is a big building on the right hand side.
Free Parking in their lot! Feel free to double park if necessary.
All Digital entries submitted electronically must be submitted via email 48 HOURS PRIOR TO COMPETITION.
Bring a check with you when you check in your prints, or send payment via check to Gail Ann Wodzin, 10255 34th Ave SW,
Seattle, WA 98146.
Pay with a credit/debit using PayPal.
Send Electronic Entries/files to Rob Resing – email@example.com. See Above ‘ Digital Print Submissions‘ for file format specifications.
Entries delivered prior to the day of competition must be boxed or “cased” with completed entry forms and check payment enclosed. If you choose to pre-pay with SPPA paypal, please include a copy of the paypal transaction. ALL CASES MUST BE BOXED, TAPPED OR LATCHED SUCH THAT THE CONTENTS ARE PROTECTED FOR STORING AND TRANSPORTING.
REMEMBER, ALL CASES MUST BE BOXED, TAPPED OR LATCHED SUCH THAT THE CONTENTS ARE PROTECTED FOR STORING AND TRANSPORTING. NEITHER SPPA OR THE INDIVIDUAL STUDIO RECEIVING YOUR CASE/CD’S ARE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE.
IF YOU WILL NOT BE PRESENT AT THE COMPETITION, YOU MUST MAKE PRIOR ARRANGEMENTS TO HAVE YOUR CASE RETURNED OR RISK LOSS.
Note: Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification of your entry. The decision of the SPPA Annual Print Competition Committee is final.
If you have any questions about the Annual Print Competition, please contact:
Barbara Roser, VP Skills Development, firstname.lastname@example.org